13 Amazing Facts About Google:
1. Google receives daily search requests from all over the world, including Antarctica.
2. Google’s Home Page Has 39 Validation Errors. Don’t believe me?: Check Google Validation
4. The infamous “I’m feeling lucky” button is nearly never used. However, in trials it was found that removing it would somehow reduce the Google experience. Users wanted it kept. It was a comfort button.
5. Due to the sparseness of the homepage, in early user tests they noted people just sitting looking at the screen. After a minute of nothingness, the tester intervened and asked ‘Whats up?’ to which they replied “We are waiting for the rest of it”. To solve that particular problem the Google Copyright message was inserted to act as a crude end of page marker.
6. The name ‘Google’ was an accident. A spelling mistake made by the original founders who thought they were going for ‘Googol’.
7. Google has the largest network of translators in the world.
8. Employees are encouraged to use 20% of their time working on their own projects. Google News, Orkut are both examples of projects that grew from this working model.
9. Google consists of over 450,000 servers, racked up in clusters located in data centers around the world.
10. Google started in January, 1996 as a research project at Stanford University, by Ph.D. candidates Larry Page and Sergey Brin when they were 24 years old and 23 years old respectively.
11. Google is a mathematical term 1 followed by one hundred zeroes. The term was coined by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasne.
12. Number of languages in which you can have the Google home page set up, including Urdu, Latin and Klingon: 88
13. Google translates billions of HTML web pages into a display format for WAP and i-mode phones and wireless handheld devices